Workshop Butler authenticates your API requests using your account's API keys. The number of the keys for every account depends on a selected plan.
There are two main purposes of using the API:
- integrating your website with Workshop Butler to manage events and accept registrations;
- automating your workflow by connecting third-party services to Workshop Butler.
For a website integration, we highly recommend using our plugins. WordPress plugin for integrating your WordPress website, and JS Widgets plugin for integrating any other CMS. These plugins follow the best practices and are supported by our team.
For automating your workflow, we recommend taking a look at our Zapier integration. It's still in a public invite-only mode, but it's ready to use and many of our clients rely on it for their automations.
Generating an API key
Follow the steps below to generate an API key:
- Sign in to your WSB account
- Choose Account Settings in the dropdown menu in the top right corner
- Find API tab on the left side
- Press + Add API key
- Add name, specify the type of integration, and click Save
API key attributes
To create an API key, you need to define two attributes: name and type of integration.
This attribute serves two purposes:
- It helps you distinguish between keys if you have several of them.
- When an attendee registers for an event, WSB uses the name of an API key to record the source of registration.
Type of integration
This attribute defines how much data about an attendee you expose.
API key gives you access to a wide range of data. We highly recommend keeping it secret. However, it's not always possible. One such example is website integration. While using our JS Widgets, you expose the API key to everyone on the Internet. Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it. That's why we have decided to split the keys into two groups:
It gives you access to all API methods and returns all available data.
It gives you access to API methods used in website integration and puts restrictions on returned data:
- List of attendees contains only attendees who have an attribute
Visible in the list of attendeesset to
- Attendee data is limited to first and last name, address, name of the organisation and certificate number.
API key patterns
- API keys for certification brand accounts has
- API keys for trainers are shorter and starts with
- Training companies have prefix